What is NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation?
NeuroStartranscranial magnetic stimulation is an advanced FDA-cleared therapy that uses a pulsed magnetic field to target underactive regions of the brain to provide safe and effective treatment for people suffering from depression.
Indications for NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
NeuroStar TMS Therapy is indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder in adult patients who have:
- Failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior anti-depressant medication
- Experienced side effects from taking medications for the treatment of depression
- Symptoms of depression that interfere with activities of daily living
Contraindications for NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
NeuroStar TMS Therapy is contraindicated in patients with:
- Non-removable metal implants inside or near the head
- Cochlear implants
- Vagus nerve stimulators
- Deep brain stimulators
Preparation for NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
In preparation for the procedure, you may have to undergo a physical examination and psychiatric evaluation. You must also inform your doctor about any health conditions, allergies, and regular medications.
Procedure for NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
- You’ll be asked to sit in the treatment chair.
- A small, curved magnetic coil will be then placed onto your head in a specific position.
- Once it is positioned properly, the coil delivers focused magnetic pulses.
- These pulses are targeted at certain regions of the brain which show reduced activity during the depression.
- According to studies, these magnetic pulses are capable of activating various regions of the brain.
- You’ll hear clicking sounds and feel a knocking, tapping, or tingling sensation on your head.
- The NeuroStar TMS therapy takes between 19 and 37minutes and is repeated for 5 days a week for about 4 to 6 weeks.
You will be allowed to leave as soon as you are done with your therapy and you can resume your normal activities almost immediately as the treatment does not have any effect on your alertness or cognition.
Side Effects of NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
NeuroStar TMS is a safe and generally risk-free procedure. However, some people may develop health issues that include:
- Scalp pain or discomfort
- Eye pain
- Tooth pain
Benefits of NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Some of the benefits of NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation:
- Non-Drug Therapy: NeuroStarTranscranial Magnetic Stimulation is less likely to cause systemic side effects associated with some major depressive disorder medications."
- Proven Safety Record: More than 3 million treatments have been performed proving tolerability and safety.
- Comfortable Patient Experience: Patients do not have to use a mouthguard or wear a helmet and can return to routine activities immediately after the procedure.